Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Dr. Freud, Please...

Markets are displaying a bit of split personality syndrome. Oil jumped over $66 per barrel, yet stocks made nice gains on the day, adding about 3/4%. The retail sales report was good. Tax revenues increased 5.7% in July over July of last year. Even accounting for the back to school shopping surge, retail is improving. Consumers have more money to burn, and they're doing it in style. Target issued an especially good earnings report, and, I'm happy to add, I know I added personally to those numbers! My new office is full of merchandise from one of my favorites, "Tarjay." Projections are for the to Fed in continue raising rates until they hit the 4.5% mark (1.0% from now). I don't get it... rising interest rates, soaring oil prices, and stocks continue to gain. Gotta love it! Dow +91.48 NASDAQ +16.74 S&P 500 +8.68