Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Coming Up for Air

I'm starting to come up for air after the last week and a half of dealing with a hurricane and all the effects of it. I've listened to stories of people who survived, barely, the storm, and I've told a few of my own. My parents left my house yesterday. Their power was on, and they were anxious to get back to their home and start the cleanup. They were some of the lucky ones. They have a house to go home to. As the reality sinks in, I wonder about long-term effects. Business Week has several great articles about Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath. There's even one about Jackson, Mississippi. In business publications across the country, you are starting to read about environmental issues and global warming. I never thought I'd see the day! Markets took a breather today, dropping about 1/4%. Dow -37.57 NASDAQ -6.00 S&P 500 -4.69