Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Stock Market Goes Public??

Today, the New York Stock Exchange began selling shares of... THE NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE! What a strange world! NYSE (symbol NYX) finished the day at $80 per share, up about 25% on the first day of trading. Stocks trading ON the exchange did not fare quite as well, as the Dow and the S&P were up slightly, while the tech-laden NASDAQ barely ticked down. As always, the brokers beat the investors. I'm counting the days till April 15th. I'm not even close to being ready to file my taxes. I only have four more things on my "to do" list. Then, I can procrastinate no longer. If you're looking for a few last minute breaks, try this site. There are some deductions related to the hurricane. I'm afraid it still won't be enough to get me out of hot water! Dow +25.05 NASDAQ -0.92 S&P 500 +2.59