Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Independent, Fee-Only Financial Advisor

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What Day Is It Anyway?

It's the first day of the work week (for most people), but the second day for me. We took our weekend from Friday till Sunday, so I came into the office yesterday, to play catch up. As we were heading back north from the beach on Sunday, we noticed the influx of tourists. Where did all the people come from? As I sat in my office on Monday and listened to the crickets, I knew the answer. Despite soaring gas prices, everyone had gone to the beach for Memorial Day. I had a hard time finding a fast food restaurant open yesterday! It's vacation time, so higher fuel prices are to be expected. It doesn't seem to be slowing anyone down, though. Oil dropped $2 per barrel today, and consumer sentiment is high. For all the price comparisons at the pump, the SUVs filled with umbrellas and boogey boards are still on the highway. One favorite destination, Florida, is looking at enacting new property insurance laws to give some relief to homeowners (or second homeowners). I guess this is just in time for hurricane season. Markets ticked up today, with the NASDAQ adding more than 1/2%. DJIA +14.06 NASDAQ +14.87 S&P 500 +2.38